The House of Mercy’s Wish List
The House of Mercy provides an array of personal care items to our residents and clients as a way for them to maintain their dignity. Your donations bring relief to those that struggle with social indignities on a daily basis. We also help people get set up in housing and provide them with household items that they otherwise couldn’t afford. You can donate items online from our Amazon Wish List or bring donations to the shelter. The shelter is always in need of the following items:
Socks are always our most needed item at the House of Mercy. With over 80 beds and countless people coming to us for assistance each day, we can’t keep enough socks stocked on our shelves.
Unlike most people the homeless do not have access to clean dry socks on a regular basis. When you are on your feet, walking much of the day and spending a lot of time outdoors you become susceptible to painful injuries and infections.
Each August, we help families prepare for school by providing them with the needed school supplies they may not be able to afford. We help over 100 kids from kindergarten to high school get ready for school each year. Donations can be brought to 285 Ormond Street, or donations can be made online through our Back to School Amazon Wish List. We make these donations available to families in August through the first few weeks in September.
- Backpacks – all ages and sizes *Most Requested
- Pens & Pencils
- Glue Sticks
- Crayons & Markers
- Folders, notebooks, and paper
- Basic clothing for school- new socks, underwear, shoes
Winter Coats, Hats, Gloves, Wool Socks, Boots
Winter in Rochester can be fierce, and we are trying to prepare for the cold weather by stocking up on winter coats, hats, gloves, and socks. We need all sizes of coats, but especially Large to 6XL.
The homeless are especially vulnerable to the elements due to the amount of time they spend outside. Without proper boots, wool socks, and gloves, people are at risk of frost bite.
Drop your donations off at our shelter at 285 Ormond Street. You can also buy winter items from our Amazon Wish List and have them shipped directly to the House.
Christmas Toys & Boxes of Food
Every year we serve thousands of families at Christmas time. People come to us asking for toys for their children and food for their families. If you are interested in donating a toy to a child in need you can bring unwrapped donations to our shelter at 285 Ormond street. Learn more.
Personal Care Items:
- Blankets, towels, sheets, washcloths
- Diapers & Pull-Ups (all sizes)
- Adult Diapers
- Deodorant – men’s and women’s
- Toothbrushes & Toothpaste
- Shampoo & Conditioner
- Tampons & Sanitary Napkins
We help set up people in housing and help provide everything they may need. Please note that donations of large items can only be accepted from 9am-3pm Monday – Friday.
- Kitchen Tables
- Washers & Dryers
- Kitchen Utensils and Cookware
We serve three hot meals a day at the House of Mercy and provide snacks all day long for people who missed a meal. That’s more than 400 meals every single day. Our food pantry also provides food to several hundred families each month. We greatly appreciate and accept donations of all types of food.
- Canned Vegetables
- Coffee, tea, hot chocolate – one of our most requested items! A hot cup of coffee is greatly appreciated by our people
- Nonperishable Food Items
- Fresh fruit, vegetables, and meat products – do you have an abundance of veggies from your garden? We can use them!
We provide clean clothing for our residents as they come in the shelter and have a clothing room available to anyone who may need something.
- New Socks (everyday socks and wool socks for winter)
- New Men’s, Women’s, and Children’s Underwear
- Bras (new and gently used, all sizes)
- Men’s, Women’s, and Children’s clothes
- Winter Jackets, Gloves, Hats and Scarves
- Flip Flops (Men’s and Women’s flip flops are used as shower shoes)
- Sweat pants (when residents enter the shelter we provide them a clean set of clothes)
- Belts (many of our people wear donated clothing and need belts)
- Hand Warmers
- Paper Products
- Cleaning Products